Monday, July 25, 2011

NYC Marathon Training Week #3: Sunday Long Run

I woke up at 4:53 a.m. this fine morning to get to Kohl's Department Store at 6 a.m. No, I didn't get up that early to shop. I volunteered in behalf of my bank through United Way to participate in its annual Kids' Back to School Shopping Spree. Each low income kid was granted one hundred dollars to spend on back to school clothes. With fifteen percent off from Kohl's and donations from area local businesses, the kids made out alright. Volunteers like me was paired up with each kid from ages five to seventeen.  One by one those kids were let into the store and handed off to a volunteer.  There was maybe about 30 seconds of exchanges and hellos. Those kids were so grateful. They seemed so shy. It was touching to see siblings as they walked through the doors, clutching each other's hands with their eyes wide open, ready to take on the day. I was belly aching about waking up so early on a Sunday morning, while at any other given weekend, waking up earlier than this for a morning run I wouldn't have second thoughts. But after today, my experience brought back memories of how it was for my sisters and I growing up with nothing. A brand new school year didn't mean getting new clothes. I knew this day meant a lot to these kids today. We showed them that we care.  They're going to be our future. Someday these kids are going to be the teachers, the police-men/women, the leaders of our communities. One of these kids could be a Congressman or Congresswoman, who will be responsible for public policies about my future and yours. I'm glad I was a part of this experience today. I'd like to do this again next year.

1:43:28
I'll be your lap counter next year.
After the Kids' Spree, I drove to the other side of town like a mad woman to see my BFF finish her first full triathlon. Heidi finished in 1:43:28, an incredible time for a 1/2 mile swim, 15 mile bike ride and a 5K run thru the City of San Luis Obispo.  I have a distinct feeling she'll be back next year, and the year after that.


After seeing Heidi, I rushed back home to do my long run. It was an overcast day and I didn't want to miss my window of opportunity.  I had 8 miles to complete, I had my route picked out and I was off.  It was a fairly easy day, although the calves were a little sore from the sandy run the day before. At the end of my long run, I pulled off a 9:11 pace for the total of 8.49 miles.  Not a bad day.  It was a little faster that what I should have run it in, but I was inspired by the triathletes whom I saw earlier crossing the finish lines.  They were all doing three events and all I had to do is run.

That's it for Week #3. I would say this was a great training week.  I survived it.  There are no injuries thus far. That's huge for me since I am now running 5 days a week as opposed to 3-4 days a week from previous training plans.

Week # 4 looks like this:

Monday  X-Train 30 minutes on the bike, 5-8 sec hill sprints,
Tuesday  6mi sorta-long-run
Wednesday 4 x hill
Thursday  3 mi easy
Friday  R-E-S-T
Saturday 6 mi pace run
Sunday 13 mi long run

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment