Wednesday, August 29, 2012

CIM 2012: Week 4 & My 2 Cents about NYC Marathon's 'No Bag' Policy


No more drop bags for 2012 NYC Marathon..Good-bye my bag...
Before I dive into my work out summary, I wanted to mention the news that unfolded this past week regarding the no bag policy that NYRR club decided for the NYC Marathon this fall.  As you may know, NYC marathon is my favorite marathon ever. Probably because I prepared well for it and earned my PR's, both times I ran it in 2010 and 2011. Unfortunately, I am not running it this year, but this marathon has been dear and close to my heart that I can't help but put my two cents in. Here it goes.

You've been nice to me New York! I'll be back!


The whole organization has been top notch and the volunteers and spectators have been supportive. It's a like the whole city got up one morning just to celebrate running. Anyway, this week, it was decided that to alleviate the traffic leading out of the Central Park, NYRR decided that no bag will be dropped off at the finish line to help ease the congestion.  I have to say, they dropped the ball on this one.  My opinion is they are going to have a lot of sick people after the marathon. Here's why? 

It's a known fact that after running a marathon, a runner is most vulnerable to picking up germs and viruses. The body's immunity is so low that it won't take long before someone sneezes and inevitably transfers the cold. From my own experience, after a marathon, the first thing I want off me are my wet clothes, bra, underwear, shorts, shirt, hat--everything is water logged. It's not long after I stop running completely that I start to get cold and  if  I delay getting into my dry clothes, it's hypothermia time!  Compound the situation with the nippy New York air at 3 or 4 pm in November, which is also the most popular finishing time, (around 4 to 4.5 hours), you've got a recipe for a major illness. Airports, bus depots, restaurants, will all have people who will be sick after November 4th.  Is this what NYRR want? Did they think this through?

They've said that runners will all be supplied with a waterproof poncho? They said the poncho cost NYRR about $500,000. Estimate about 50K runners, that comes to about $10 poncho for each runner. I don't know about you, but if I have wet clothes underneath this poncho, $10 or $50--however much or hi tech the fabric is, I know I will still be shivering in the cold.  I need my dry clothes! 

On another note, imagine all the runners in Staten Island who have to wait at least 3 hours. You're by the water, so it's inconceivable not to bring anything warm. Everything you bring to Staten Island must be left behind before the start. I can't imagine the amount of clothes left behind for clean up and collection to charity.

Maybe the solution is to stash some dry clothes somewhere  in the park the night before as suggested by one FB subscriber. Or maybe they need to move the finishing stage to a ball park where  it won't clog Central Park if that's what NYRR is worried about. But Fred Lebow would probably turn in his grave if they move the venue.

Why am I getting too hot about this subject, you ask? I'm not running it. But I will next year! The bag is a necessity. Bring it back, please.



Okay, so we got that out of the way...Week #4 went just as planned. I didnt' have to tweak any workouts. The week ended with 32 miles.  The quality workouts are coming along great.

Monday--yoga at noon
Tuesday-- power
Wednesday--pilates, speed 6.54M
Thursday--rest
Friday--  tempo-6.10M
Saturday--hills-4.55M
Sunday--long run - progression thirds-14.68M
Total Miles--31.87M


On Wednesday, the assigned workout was my favorite interval workout again. We ran two sets of: 800s, 1/2 lap recovery, 400 fast, 400 rest, followed by 3 sets of 400, 1/2 lap recovery, 400 fast, full lap recovery.  I used the advance workout on my Garmin. The results:  800m (7:11, 7:34) 400m (6:35, 7:06, 7:17, 6:58 7:05, 6:56, 7:06, 6:55).

Oh hey, how did this get here?  Looks heavenly doesn't it?


Friday's tempo work consisted of running 3 miles at 8:11.  I broke the tempo work to 3 segments and rested 1:00 in between the 2nd and the third set. It included a 1.5 mile warm up and 1.5 cool down.

Saturday was devoted to short hill repeats and I ran 7 of them with paces (8:03, 7:47, 7:51, 6:45, 6:25, 6:41 and 6:30).  I was thrilled with my effort.

Heck, while we're at it...this was awesome too, Ramen Kalbi!

Sunday was my first progression long run.   I had scheduled a total of 14 miles that included 4 miles easy, 4 miles moderate, 4 miles marathon pace and lastly, 2 miles cooldown. The first 4 was run at 10:24 pace, the next 4 at 9:23 pace and the last at 8:43.  Again I was thrilled with the outcome. I went faster in the end, I was afraid I was not going to hit 9:00 because I struggled to keep up the 9:30s. But for some reason my body can't hone in on the easier pace, but was able to do 8:43. I can't figure this out. I am not complaining, I'll take the 8:43s anytime of day.  Yet another successful week of training.  I have a benchmark race coming up next Saturday,a 5K race in Cambria. That will be the highlight next week.  Until then, happy running!



No comments:

Post a Comment